Slot game special features are simply the rounds that spice up your gameplay. On its own, the base slot game can be challenging and frustrating. Many modern slot game releases have added unique features ranging from cascading reels to free spins, walking wilds, multipliers, mystery symbols, and more at SlingoSlots.
Here we walk about the best combinations of slot game special features.
Featureless slot games
We can’t talk about unique features without first determining games without many special features. Many classics that are still popular to date are known to offer featureless gaming experiences. Some include Starburst, Cleopatra, Book of Dead, and Book of Ra. Sequels to these slots come with features, but they don’t meet the tastes and preferences of modern gamers. These new releases are also not as delightful as the original releases.
Regular slot game special features
Here are some of the slot game features you should look out for:
- Autoplay: Autoplay allows you to set your slot to play on its own for 10, 50, or 100 games. The sweet spot is you can also program the Autoplay to stop when you win big or lose too much.
- Wild symbols: Wild symbols dominate almost every slot game. Wilds replace other symbols that increase your chances of getting a winning combination. Wilds may also integrate with other modifiers, stretching up the entire reel, unleashing sticky wilds, and more.
- Free spins: Free spins may be included as a feature when you are awarded free spins based on a symbol trigger. As the name implies, free spins allow you to spin the reels without paying.
- Scatters: Scatters allow you to unlock goodies anywhere on the board, unlike regular symbols that only need you to ride a pay line or occupy a reel at the adjacent position.
- Multipliers: Multipliers multiply your credits. You might have standalone multipliers, combining more than one multiplier or increasing multipliers.
- Cascading reels: Also known as tumbles or tumbling reels, rolling reels, symbol drops, collapsing reels, or chain reactions. These reels remove matching symbols used to get the winning combination while leaving spaces on your screen. So symbols drop into those spots filling the gaps and may lead to new bonuses and potentially hefty payout.
- Cluster pays: Clusterpays replace both adjacent ways and pay lines with groups of matching symbols with chances to win more.
- Mystery symbols: These symbols often begin as question marks. Before determining payouts, the questions flip around to reveal matching images and might lead to exciting rewards if positioned correctly.
- Win both ways: Win both ways offers to pay you if winning combinations run from the left to the screen’s right side, and it still pays if the combinations go from the right to the left.
- 243 ways to win: A standard slot comes with five reels and three rolls, giving a sum of 15 symbol slots. If all those 15 spaces had identical symbols, it would result in 243 five-of-a-kind payout. So in place of pay lines, the 243 ways to win pays for adjacent symbol matches beginning from the first reel to the left and running to the right. However, you can’t skip a reel.
- Megaways: Megaways slots offer 117,649 ways to win, which is incredible. Payouts are calculated like the 243 ways to win slots. But in this case, the reels can have different-sized symbols, and probabilities change with every notable spin.
- Expanding Reels: Although the slot begins as every other five or six reels, the reels suddenly begin stretching to accommodate additional reels and symbols. Usually, expanding reels come in bonus rounds, offering more ways to win.
Best combination slots game special features
It’s challenging to determine the best combination slots game special features across games. Some games especially stand out because of the way they combine these features. For instance, Wish Upon a Jackpot by Blueprint Gaming brings to life a Fairy godmother who flies and settles on the center of a reel during any base game and waves her magic wand to produce 3 orbs that hide exciting features.
- Expanding wilds: Wild symbols can turn a loss into a win. Here, a single wild symbol lands on a reel and then stretches to fill entire reels with the wild power, thereby significantly increasing your payout.
- Expanding symbols: Expanding symbols are one of the best combination slot features. A designated expanding symbol is selected randomly before the free spin round is activated. So every time that symbol hits the screen, it stretches over the reel.
- Sticky wilds or locked wilds: Wouldn’t you love your wild to stick around? Sticky wilds (locked wilds) are featured in the bonus round that keeps your wilds in position for a period. Most commonly, they might remain in place throughout the free spin.
- Transferring wilds: The transferring wilds follows that if a wild appears in one set of reels, it should repeat in another and the same position. So if you have two game boards, a wid that shows up in the middle of the first will transfer to the second.
- Walking or shifting wilds: Walking wilds feature stretching a single wild symbol or wild reel on a ‘westward’ movement. So every spin of reels makes the wild go one step to the left until it goes off the left side of the screen.
- Random wilds: These wilds fly from one side to the next but don’t spin into place. We generate them randomly.
- Stacked wilds: Stacked wilds refers to groups of wilds that circle reels. So they hit the screen together because they clump together within other symbols.
There are many more combinations of slots game features, including fruit machine hold, symbol transformations, split symbols, 1,024 ways to win, horizontal reels, nudges or nudging reels, bonus re-triggers, re-spins, synced reels, colossal reels, and more. Nonetheless, many more things might attract to a game, such as a theme, backstory, and actual gaming experience. Always check the paytable to determine what bonuses you will get with that slot game.